The majority of Urban Escape Studios do not require planning permission or building regulations approval.
- Studios have a maximum height of 2.5 metres.
- If the studio has an internal floor area of between 15 and 30 square metres, it will be built at least 1 metre away from any boundary.
- Urban Escape Studios will build to a maximum internal floor area of 30 square metres.
Our studios are designed to comply with the government permitted development law, subject to the following limits and conditions:
- No studio to be built on land in front of the main house.
- Studios should be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres.
- Any studio deck must not exceed 0.3 metres in height.
- The studio should not cover more than half the area of land around the “original house”.
- In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by a studio more than 20 metres from the house should be less than 10 square metres.
- On designated land, studios at the side of properties will require planning permission.
- Within the curtilage of listed buildings any studio will require planning permission.
Building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the studio is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation. If the floor area of the studio is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary.
Urban Escape Studios can apply for planning permission on behalf of our clients for an additional fee.